The Bankruptcy Specialist performs administrative tasks such as preparing and filing legal documents, handling bankruptcy correspondence, and communicating with bankruptcy internal and external clients. Additionally, the Bankruptcy Specialist is responsible for processing all Bankruptcy related mail, notifications and inquiries received from clients, debtors, debtors’ attorneys, courts, trustees and First Associates Staff.
- Direct maintenance on all types of accounts including updating loan servicing system and any internal databases as necessary (flagging accounts in bankruptcy) to ensure company adherence to the automatic stay and any applicable laws (close credit lines, block billing, and credit bureau reporting). Performing quality control checks to identify risk and to ensure that procedures are being followed.
- Ensuring proper flow of information to/from various departments to identify and flag accounts
- Providing Notices of Bankruptcy Filing (341 Notices) to company bankruptcy attorney
- Monitor accounts by taking proper action after case dismissal or discharge; conduct research on bankruptcy related matters to assist outside council; and evaluate and implement proper course of action for any bankruptcy related issue that may arise.
- Processing NLS tasks for various requests related to bankruptcy
- Develop and maintain relationships with bankruptcy attorneys
- Associates Degree or equivalent experience (Bachelor’s preferred)
- Minimum 2 years collections experience and exposure to post charge-off collections
- Knowledge of consumer bankruptcy – Emphasis on Creditor Representation
- Working knowledge of: Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Experience working for a law firm that specializes in creditor representation preferred
- Strong computer skills required and proficient with MS Office- Word, Outlook and Excel
- Industry database experience, such as NLS (Northridge Loan Servicing), PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records), and CM/ECF (Case Management/Electronic Case Files) preferred.
- Operational knowledge with office equipment to include multi-line phone, copier, printer and scanner
- Detail oriented with ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Effective communications skills (verbal and written)
- Proven interpersonal skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to work independently